Don’t we all LOVE to have a great time in Kingston , Jamaica??!!
The best way to have fun is to put safety first! How do we ensure that we are safe on the night life scene?
Check out these pointers!
1. Check the location of where the party is being held.
Is it a club? Is it a street party? Is it an outdoor event? Where is the party being held? Is it a well known location?
Is it frequently attended by foreigners and locals? The answers to these questions are VERY important. Not all areas are frequently traveled by foreigners and just as in any country, foreigners may be targeted or robbed in the area.
2. Take a Company/Chartered (Red Plated) Taxi
This is one of the services that Jahjastarz provide for its customers as it is VERY important! There are many taxi services in Jamaica, with marked cars displaying the name of their company and the number of that particular taxi. These are preferred as they are safe, reliable. and they tend to have a set price per location/distance. Why did we refer to the taxis as red plate though? it’s because the license plate of the car is red. The taxi representatives will always have business cards available to hand to you to persuade you to use their service, or to use that particular taxi number itself. You may call the general taxi company and request for that number taxi to pick you up, or any taxi from that company to pick you up.
3. Do NOT Walk with “A Bag A Money”
In Patois, the Jamaican dialect we always use the term “a bag a money” which is self explanatory and means a lot of money, an undetermined sum, more than is needed, or a bag of money. Take the amount you think you may need for the night. Do an estimation…
- Club Cost = $1000
- Alcohol/Drink = $500 per cup
- Taxi Service = $ 1200 (to party and back)
- Restaurant (if you wish to grab something to eat before hitting the club/party) = $1500
- ***These prices are an estimation, and are quoted in JMD, Jamaican Dollars. Note the restaurant budget may vary depending on your taste and stomach.
- If the party that you are attending includes drinks, then you can omit that estimation. With that said, just estimate the amount you need and be on your way to having a fun filled night!
4. DO NOT leave bags/wallets on chairs to go to the bathroom or anywhere while partying.
This may seem a bit obvious however there are those of us who get carried away while drinking and partying. Do not rest it down on a chair/sofa in the club and walk away, or become neglectful. Take your wallet/purse with you everywhere!
5. Look out for Pick- Pockets!
Pickpockets are thieves that steal things from persons pockets, handbags etc without them noticing, and being within close proximity of the person. This is a crime experienced everywhere in the world, mostly in social gatherings. Though we have not received reports/complaints or had anyone experience with this, we still wish to add it to ensure safety. Keep your purses tucked away in your handbags, your handbags under you arms, your handbags closed, and for the men, make note of where your wallet is located in your pants and keep check of this at all times.
6. Know the Police contact number!
In Jamaica we dial 119 for the Police. Always know your location in the event of an emergency .
- Police – 119
- Ambulance – 110
- Fire – 110
- Air-Sea Rescue – 119
- Jamaica Defence Force – 926-9260/9
- Coast Guard – 967-8031/8223/8190-3
- To know the time and date – 117
7. Know the address of where you are staying
This is just in the event of an emergency, save it in your phone, scribble it on a piece of paper and tuck it somewhere in your wallet/purse/handbag!
8. Trust your guts!!
Don’t willingly go with someone who may offer you a ride home. Though they may be genuine, trust your guts!